Thursday, April 14, 2016

L is for Learning #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


L is for learning, or learnin' as I sometimes say, as in book learning (knowledge gathered from books or study as opposed to experience) because not only do I truly enjoy learning I am very grateful for learning new things as a piece of my recovery. 

While I was inpatient we would have a variety of learning experiences during therapy that involved articles, workbooks, worksheets, and educational films. I am currently in a DBT class (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) and seeing a DBT therapist to learn new coping mechanisms and make positive lifestyle changes, and boy, is that workbook hefty! There are also various articles that I read online and research into my diagnoses that I do mostly online that are a more freeflowing, unpredictable but essential part of my learning in recovery that I also consider book learnin'. 

I gain a lot of knowledge through experience, but I find book learnin' to be more enjoyable and rewarding. The hubster seems to be a bit different. He would gain a lot of knowledge and rewarding feelings from say, falling down the side of a mountain whereas I would just be upset! I think it shows how there are different types of people in the world. Some people prefer book learnin' to experience, some people prefer experience, and some people prefer not to learn at all (a la #Trump and his supporters). 

Learning is one of those complicated things that can be quite pleasurable or quite unpleasant. One of those big ticket items in life that can be considered what life is all about like love, family, experience; learning is unending and sometimes convoluted, other times delightfully simple:

live to learn; learn to live.

For someone like me, who has considered taking her own life on multiple occasions, learning to live is no joke. While I'll probably be working on this lesson for the rest of my life, learning to live well can be as satisfying as it is challenging. Some of it comes natural, but there are a lot of ways I've had to learn to take care of myself and I'm really glad I have books and resources to help me!

And seriously, if we didn't learn anything ever we wouldn't last very long, would we?!

Take care and be well :o)

11 comments:

  1. As I get older I am both appalled at how little I know, and grateful that learning didn't end (or even perhaps begin) at school.
    And I am a lover of book learning. Experience? Well yes, but it is too often painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thinking of what we know now that, say... my grandparents or great-grandparents never could've comprehended. It gives me such a lovely reminder that there is always something new to learn or discover and I like the feeling of knowing that I'm little in the grand scheme of things, kinda takes the pressure off for me :o)

      Experience is often painful... while books are so delightful! I do suppose I've got a few paper cuts along the way but for the most part, books are my friends :o)

      Delete
  2. You are right to say that learning to live is no joke. I like your introspection. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :o) and thank you for reading and commenting! I wish you well on your learnin' trail :o)

      Delete
  3. One of my philosophies of life (I have more than one!) is this: the day I stop learning is the day I die. I was blessed to raised in a family of curious people who were never afraid to ask questions, explore, read... learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great philosophy and raising a family as such sounds delightful. I think it's a good lesson to learn to always be learning!

      Delete
  4. I'm a book learnin' girl myself. :) I could get lost in a set of old-school encyclopedias. Since I've gotten home from rehab I've done a lot of research on recovery from addiction and relapse prevention. To some, that would be boring. I think it's interesting though...and I've found that I recall certain things in situations when I need it. If at all possible, I'd like to prevent learning from experience, as that usually comes with a bit of pain and discomfort. ;)

    I read your post yesterday...I'm glad you're still here!! I can understand being in that mindset though. I've been there too, and to say that it sucks would be a bit of an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encyclopedias are awesome, especially with the pictures! I think my husband learned about "the birds and the bees" from an old medical textbook haha Semi-related... somehow that came to mind.

      Learning from experience does seem to come with that painful caveat doesn't it? You are so right!

      Thank you, Willow. A bit of an understatement but yeah, it sucks. All the extra work getting myself out of that hole isn't fun either. Glad to log-in and see comments, that certainly perks me up! :o) Thx

      Delete
  5. I enjoy your posts so much, Hannah. You have such incredible insight into yourself. That is a wonderful thing. I'm an all kinds of learning type. I'm 51 years old and my mind is still like a sponge. I can never get enough of learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for sponges! Thanks Martha :o)

      Delete
  6. I flippin' love to be a sponge. Love it.

    Here's to more days of you being sponge. Keep soaking it up, baby. Keep soaking it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF